Friends or Enemies?
Friends or Enemies?
This is the story of my life since I arrived and Faulkner University. This story is full of ups, downs, wild rides, and crazy people. Some of the parts of my story resemble certain events and people my Great Books class has read about. Books such as The Aeneid and Bacchae. Although this story may read as a text full of drama and manipulation, these characters have changed my life.
The main characters in this story are Achates, Juno, and Dionysus. The first character is seanah. This story begins on move-in day. I was so excited to get to Faulkner and set up my room! What I was not excited about was who I was supposed to be living with. About a month before school was supposed to start, me and my future roommate began texting each other trying to get to know one another. As we were texting, I noticed that Achates, who was soon to be my roommate, and I had numerous differences. This made me extremely nervous because I knew I was going to have to live with this person. I got up to my room and met him for the first time in person. He seemed very nice, but I also know first impressions are deceiving. As time went on, I realized that I really liked Achates. Achates and I have had so many good times together. My favorite memory of him is when he tried to sell his plasma. There happens to be a medical building right down the street where you can actually sell your plasma. He wanted to do that to make a little money. The procedure took about two hours and he made quite a bit of money. Throughout the rest of my story, Achates plays an important role in helping me through some tough situations. This person reminds of me of the character Achates in The Aeneid. Virgil says, “He halts, grasps his bow and his flying arrows, the weapons his trusty aid Achates keeps at hand.” (1.121-122) Personally, Virgil wrote this quote in a literal sense, but I see it in a figurative sense. Aeneas trusts his friend and knows Achates will be there for him when he needs it. That is the type of friend Achates is to me.
The next character in my story is Juno. Juno is the second person I met at Faulkner. She is also one of my best friends. Although we are close, Juno and I argue a lot. We are both very strong-willed people who say exactly what we are thinking. This is what gets us in trouble with each other. She is the type of person who always wants it to be her way and if that does not happen, she lashes out. She doesn't like to entertain anyone else's opinions other than her own. Jealousy is one of her faults. The character she reminds me of is Juno. For example, "So the Queen of the Gods, Saturn's daughter swooping down from the heavens, struck the unyielding doors with her own hand, swinging them on their hinges, bursting open the iron Gates of War. (7.720-724) In this quote, we see Juno trying to change Aeneas's fate for her own good. This a perfect reference of how Juno always want to get her way which is why it reminded me of Juno. Although she has her faults, she is an amazing friend. When it really has counted, she was there for me and I would not trade her for anything.
Dionysus is the last major character in my story. He is the one who likes to start all of the drama. He brings people into her own situations and creates issues between all of our friends. He is also two-faced. Sometimes he acts like she likes you or he is here for you, but in reality he is trying to one-up you. He can be deceiving and manipulative. For example, Dionysus lies about who he really is by saying to Pentheus, “Dionysus made me an initiate of himself, and he's a son of Zeus.”(1.269) He is saying he is on person, but is actually another just like the person in my story. This is exactly how this person acts. Just like Dionysus, he is not trustworthy.
Even though I mostly talked about the bad parts of my friends, I really appreciate them. Faulkner introduced me to some of the best people I have ever met. Whether it was my friends I spoke about, my teachers, or anyone else that I have seen. College has been a hard experience. I have had so many issues here and have been brought into so much drama, but I can honestly say so far, this has been the best experience of my life. I do not regret anything that has happened since the day I first moved in. The journey so far has been amazing and I cannot wait to see where I will go at Faulkner and in the future.
Comments
Post a Comment