Hi. My name is Natalie Wilson. I am from Knoxville, Tennessee. I am double majoring in Criminal Justice and Pre-Law. I have 4 siblings. I enjoy reading multiple varieties of books and love to express myself through writing. I am a reserved person and mostly keep to myself. I really hope this college experience will help my grow academically and socially and I cannot wait to see where it takes me.
Gender Roles in Bacchae by Euripides
Man. Woman. Transgender. Agender. Bigender. Polygender. In today’s society, these are some of the gender variations many people claim to be. All of these genders are, for the most part, accepted throughout our society. No matter what gender a person was born as everyone apparently has a right to change and become the gender they want too. This was not the case during the time period that Bacchae was written. The contrast between men and women is extremely prevalent in this book. In the Bacchae, men had very specific roles as did women and numerous problems arose if these roles crossed between genders. We first see the distinction between gender roles when the king, Pentheus, finds out that all of the women in his city have left to become Bacchants. King Pentheus says, “These women of ours have left their homes / and run away to the dark mountains, pretending / to be Bacchants. It’s this brand new god, / Dionysus, whoever that is; they’re dancing for him!” (...
Hi Natalie! My name is Sean Denney, and I'm a freshman here at Faulkner. Double majoring sounds like a hard task! How many extra hours do you have to take because of it? Hopefully not too many! Everyone needs some personal time. At least I know I've been kept busy with my class work and practices. You mentioned expressing yourself through writing. Have you had anything published? Maybe let everybody in GB read it? I can't wait for the year to come!
ReplyDeleteHey Nattie,
ReplyDeleteGetting to be your roomate is so wonderful and i would want anyone else! I really hope I get to meet your family because I know they will be just as great as you. Since I do know you so well (because we live together), I know good and well you do not read and write in your free time. Good try though. I’m just kidding Nattie. I love you bunches and I’m so glad i have someone to share my GB experience with. I can’t wait to see where the year takes us.
Xoxoxox,
Seanah Smedley